Tuesday 25 July 2017

Duncan Lyon: Self-publishing, Write to Work and more

Having recently joined the Writing On The Wall team as Project Assistant Lauren Buxton had the pleasure earlier this week to interview Duncan Lyon who is a Liverpool based self-published writer. She asked Duncan about his participation on the 12 week course which gives the opportunity for writers to explore the different avenues in which writing can lead to paid work, through various fields such as creative writing, social media, blogging, copywriting & marketing.



What was your main attraction to the Write to Work course?
My main attraction to the Write to Work course, was primarily to try and find financial opportunities, however contrary to my expectations I found the creative writing aspects of the course to be enjoyable and also highly beneficial.

How did you find the varied styles of the guest lecturers and what did you take away from it?
I wasn’t expecting to get anything out of the creative writing session and to be honest I was surprised; this was mostly due to the teaching style of the head of the English Department at John Moores University Sarah Maclennan who focused upon among other things the value of discipline in your writing, which I found to be constructive in regards to my own experiences with self-publishing. Similarly, I enjoyed the session on writing for the gaming industry with Welsh Writer Manon Steffan Ros and although I’m not being paid as of yet I found the experience beneficial. The other things that she spoke about, just in terms of creative writing, instilled the confidence to say that I am a writer and I found that was really worthwhile.

How did you find the group dynamics of the course?
From the beginning of the course everyone one was really respectful of each other’s work and appreciative of each other’s position. I found it to be a great cross section of writers in Liverpool. Also by the end of the course strong friendships were made which has now progressed into the continuation of our group meeting and forming a writing collective. I am a confident writer and didn’t really go into it thinking about gaining support from other members of the group so that has been a pleasant surprise.

What are your avenues going forward? 
The avenue going forward from my taking part on the course is that. I am currently concentrating on finishing my third book, while also promoting my debut novel Incredibly Selfish in conjunction with my second novel Sand Paper Stone (both available on Amazon in paperback and Kindle).

Why do you write?
For me I write because it is the only way for me to make sense of things.

Why you decide to self publish your book?
I’ve been through the process of working with agents and publishers and sort of run into the ground with it, whereby they would find themselves in financial difficulties. I decided rather than put myself through that whole process again and wait for people to make judgements on it, I was content in what I had created and to have it finished. It was more important for me to have a physical copy of the book than to get anyone’s approval.

How do you find the self publishing process? 
I would advise anybody to go down the self-published route as the process, it’s really easy, once I realized that I could do it. There is a lot of different self-publishing packages out there, which guides you through the entire process of editing and formatting your book.

What attracted you to apply for Pulp Idol (WoW's annual writing competition)?
I applied to Pulp Idol as a last-minute decision thinking if I don’t do it would I regret it, also I knew that there would be an agent from London present and I thought when would there be an opportunity like this to show my work.

To apply for the Write to Work Course, send your application form to info@writingonthewall.org.uk.

Duncan Lyon was a runner up in the 2017 Pulp Idol Competition with his entry titled Hodder Place.

No comments:

Post a Comment